Skip to main content

Church no. 8 - St Mary the Virgin, Northrepps

 A third Church in a row under the patronage of St Mary - and specifically the last two St. Mary the Virgin. 

As I shut my laptop down at close of the work day I had hoped I would catch a very local church to me open and visitable on the sunny afternoon of Friday. And whilst it spoils the story slightly I walked around the beautifuly kept (and as I would find out documented) graveyard I was unable to make entry to the church. So after a fourth round of walking and after a call with my parents to hear about there day I went to leave. I was walking to my car but paused as another vehicle turned up. Upon making small pleasantries I had said how I was unable to enter and the delightful gentleman was here to work within the church on bell maintenance and said he was happy for me to pop my head in the door. Whilst the story is much more involved (as with many church going folk in North Norfolk  there is usually less than six degrees of seperation) the welcome recieved and information shared (please, please please check out the Northrepps Historical society) the willingness to open doors is a wonder and a miracle and I can only thank the kind people both here, and wider around the county, nation and world, that offer to open doors to both place of worship and to the Christian faith. To share of the story and wonder of Northrepps to was more than exciting and although I could not head straight home to look up the Northrepps Historical Society or to swish through the pictures (I did have to buy some food to eat for tea) I could not stop smiling or wondering about the Church I had found around the quiet dusty bends on a late Friday Afternoon. 

So what can I tell you about Northrepps.... well why should I tell you anything when I can quote a village Historical Society. 

"As far back as 1086 the Doomsday Book records the village as Northrepes and evidence suggests that it has always been agricultural. The village once had a foundry, best remembered for developing the Gallus plough in 1830. This design of plough was widely used well into the 1920s. There is an example of a Gallus plough manufactured at the foundry on display in the parish church."

And the plough was on display in the church when I entered. Whilst today Northrepps has, I am sure, less smuggling it holds onto it's agricultural heritage and is surrounded by golden fields (and on it's outskirts boasts a small privately owned air field on its outskirts). It was the village as a child I would visit Grandparents and stay but this was my first visit to St Mary the Virgin. 

The church - you can tell - our very proud of the heritage of the bells. The tower boast 8 bells and in the porch (remember for four tours of the churchyard this all of what I thought I would see of the inside)  there are clear posters about bell ringing and encouraging to learn, try, understand the craft. Inside the bell tower was beuatifully lit by the summer early evening light, and with permission I entered the spiral stair case to see were the eight bells would be played. This is much lower (just 15 steps) than it would have been done originally. One the wall is painted the inscription translated that one of the bells has - a reminder of why bells were in churches. "Through me the faithful are called to prayer." I imagine if the summer evenings stay as is I will venture over top Northrepps again and spend time listening to the bells as they ring, and wander the church yard as I offer my own intercessions and confessions to God. I would also call us all to be like these bells, a legacy of a clearly well tuned voice that calls out and around about the God we glorify and the call to gather and share in God and Salvation through him. 

Whilst the bells and there history are amazing. And the unique style of plough important, there was a deeper legacy that called to me. Potentially as in my bible reading today I read Isaiah 65 which talks of religious hypocrites secretting themselves away to sit amongst the graves. I did wonder upon this as I walked around the graveyard. Each plot has had it's history inputted into Find a Grave, with the two Commonwealth War Graves featuring on the Commonwealth War Grave website. It is these two graves that I walked around the churchyard mutliple times for. In my experience Commonwealth War Graves are often easy to spot with there bright Portland Sandstone standing out amongst the gray and lichen covered monuments. However, these are two private war graves of Private Charles Godfrey Beane who at the time of his death was serbing in the Yorkshire Regiment when he died in January 1916 aged 23. This wondeful clay coloured Grave covered in leaves is a reminder of a parents grief. Covered in leaves and the eternal hopeful words of Romans 8:37-39 "we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." 

The second Grave - paler in colour - is a reminder of a different relationship who will have lost their loved ones during World War One. This is again a private memorial of Air Mechanic 1st Class Ernest George Silver who died at 40 in October 1918 whilst serving as part of the Royal Air Force. The tribute is from his wife Alice. 

These are not the only fascinating Graves amonst the saints who are laid to rest here. I greatly enjoyed the carvings on many, or how even in eternal rest a husband and wifes tomb seek to get closer to each other. Then there is the bright blue writing of another marker of another human laid to rest. So many stories lost from memory and legacy laid to rest in the corners of this quiet land under the watchful gaze of the tower and parishoners of St Mary the Virgin, Northrepps. The care that locals, parishoners, family and friends place to maintain and care for these memorials is astonishing and I am sure a true honour to those who are laid to rest. 

Father God, thank you for the people of Northrepps and their village church. Thank you for their great welcome and love of the history they are surrounded by and stewards of. May they know deeply your care as they care for this church and place. May the bells be a call around the locatlity a reminder of a call to worship you through our whole lives, Lord, a call to stand witness as conquerers with you, with lovign care of those around us. Amen.  

 







































































































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Questions

I mentioned in my previous group about one of my lovely youth groups. Its reasonably small and all the young people come from a church orientated background or have been going to church for a while. We  started back in January and as a leader theres that post Christmas panic when you realise you havent planned a session let alone the rest of the term. So I used a cop out, I used my first session back to help get the young people to plan the sessions - brilliant, right! Over the last five months in post here in Conwy, theres been a real theme emerging from my work and my visits and my volunteering/volunteered(ness) at things like Faith and Order and 3Gen. This is the idea of questions and having a safe space to ask questions discuss them and not necessarily come out with a definitive answer, but having explored deeply the topic at hand. At Uni I hated the big questions discussed late at night, when one should have been writing assignments because then it felt like wor...

The Arrival

While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born,   and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them. Luke 2:6-7

Reflection on #fando

My university degree assignments were largely theological reflections, and I largely hated writing them. But as I reflect I have or I have a responsibility as I get back on the train. What do I have to do now. My response to these two and a  bit days. I have had a strong renewal in my passion for theology, and I don't want to keep this to myself. This has an impact with my ministry with families and young people. To help the, engage with theology, the communion of saints the richness in grappling with the big questions. Moving to not have a shallow ministry but a deep ministry allowing God to reach deeply in my life and of those around me. Being aware of the Wesleyan quadrilateral in the work I do not just as a a useful tool for graduating from a college with Methodist tendencies. There needs to be an investment in theology in the local church and I have a chance to facilitate this. Theology is integral to our faith and walk as Christians, I think people do want to engage wit...